Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Newsworthy Discussion: Stress

One of my biggest hurdles is handling everything going on in my life without getting stressed out and deciding to just do nothing. I feel it is a topic that many people deal with on a daily basis and are unsure how to fix it so life is again enjoyable. I know half of the worries I have would be eliminated if I stopped stressing, had more fun, gained more confidence, and just go about living my life. Health.com recently released an article called, "Say Goodbye to Stress for Good." (http://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/anxiety/articlepage?cp-documentid=250009225) It was written by Jenna McCarthy and outlines several different ways that you can have your busy life, but also be stress free. The article points to three main topics that are Stress Proofing Yourself, Make Bliss the Choice, and Savor the Moment. In order to Stress Proof the article recommends that you focus on exercise, resisting the temptation to be the debbie downer, and actually take time to indulge. While in order to Make Bliss the Choice, you should take control of your emotions and pay it forward (a great movie by the way!). And finally Savor the Moment by slowing yourself down and pretending its about to end.

I found the article to have made several good points that are in fact easy to incorporate into every day life. I know its hard to change a perspective and when your negative its hard to switch to positive, but by not trying you are letting yourself be victim to the stress. To start incorporating some of the ideas into my life, I simply listed the topics and wrote a few goals down. This way I know what I want to accomplish, can visually see it, and will more then likely stay true to it because I wrote it down. You should give it a try because stress runs way to rampant these days.

Stress Proofing:

To stress proof myself I will do the following: really begin my half-marathon training, no longer concentrate on the negative of a day but instead the many positives, and be sure that I do one fun thing in a day even if its just 15 minutes of reading a non serious book

Make Bliss the Choice:

To make bliss the choice, I will do the following: stop myself before I get angry and look for the positive as well as pay it forward more by giving to others because I was lucky enough to have so many people there for me!

 
Savor the Moment:

To savor the moment, I will do the following: take more photos (stealing this idea from the article), be sure to breathe when feeling overwhelmed, and think of each moment as a gift instead of concentrating no how much it sucks at the time.


Do you think stress is a big concern these days? What do you do to eliminate stress in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment