To begin, I thought I would choose a less controversial topic, but one that I think highlights a major concern especially in this country: EDUCATION.
A HISTORY TEACHER'S BRILLIANT IDEA
CNN.com
Direct Link:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/opinion/bennett-teacher-innovation/index.html?hpt=op_bn4
![]() |
This article is about a history teacher who was tired of seeing his students more interested in March Madness then their education especially when it comes to history. The teacher, Mr. Hoekstra, decided to take action and created a lesson plan around the idea of the tournament. Each student choose a person in US history and had to immense themselves into the persons life and history. He then created a bracket and the students had to defend why their person was the greater person in history. The class would vote at the end of the debate. What Hoekstra found was that kids instantly were intrigued and became extremely involved in the debates.
Lemon:
Students lack of interest in history and well America's lack of interest in history education.
While this may be far stretched, I believe the partial problem is that we as a society have devalued history and its place in the education world. It is true that it is not math or science and many do not believe it gets you far in the "real" world. Well here is the thing, have you ever really thought about what skills you do gain that are just as important? How about critical thinking, writing, problem solving, philosophical discussion, debate, mathematical analysis, and inquiry amongst others? These are skills, yes you gain in the traditional core of subjects as well, but are in fact applied and enhanced in history classrooms.
Lemonade:
What this article shows is that students will in fact enjoy history and see its importance when a teacher does not simply give up and get pushed aside, but faces the students and their lack of interest. I think history teachers are constantly faced these days with these dilemmas and its so important to prove that the subject is in fact important and can be appreciated. I love the creativity that was used as well. I just wish that "entertaining" did not always have to be the answer, but that students already come knowing that history is just as important as math and science.
Central Question:
Do you think history is an important part of education? Or do you believe that in order to stay competitive in this world, the essential math, science, and english classes should be the focus?

No comments:
Post a Comment